Purdue University Certificates
Green Generalist (Green 101)
This program provides interactive awareness and general education experiences that cover the many topics related to sustainability. Participants learn how minimizing wastes of all types can affect an organizationâ€™s bottom line and they become aware of the many pollutants that affect air and water quality as well as practices to minimize or eliminate them.
Green Specialist Series:
- H2O ConserveThis program uses interactive exercises to introduce lower-cost and conservation principles and practices in operation and design of water systems. Learn the principles and practices used in the operation and design of water systems to identify alternative methods that will reduce costs and conserve an endangered resource.
- Pollution SolutionsThis program provides an overview of methods to incorporate into your emission control and environmental management programs by looking at emissions, including green house gases, along with new technologies for preventing air pollution.
- Dumpster DiveThis training focuses on concepts relating to life cycle analysis, alternative material selection, by-product reduction, waste exchange and zero landfill and will demonstrate some practical tools that can be implemented to reduce or eliminate the solid waste stream. Learn fundamentals of solid waste streams and their sources by focusing on the 4Rsâ€” Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Green ChemistryThis program will teach you how to meet regulatory requirements and achieve a healthier, safer environment within the company, community and world through hands-on activities focused on how to apply green chemistry principles and techniques throughout the business.
- Energy ManagementLearn how to manage energy usage and invest in energy efficiency to cut energy costs and reduce carbon
footprint. Renewable energy sources, as well as basic energy use alternatives, are discussed.
- Sustainability in PracticeThis program offers a business perspective on the benefits of implementing a comprehensive environmental management or sustainability program in your company. Topics include regulations and permitting, green certifications and marketing, and green supply chain, along with typical measures for monitoring a successful program.
Purdue University Online Certificates
Green Generalist Online TrainingThe Green Generalist Online training module is an online interactive educational course that provides awareness of the many topics and issues of sustainability. The course is valuable to people in all positions and all business sectors. It is comprised of 7 sections, 7 tests, and 3 interactive simulations that embed the concepts of sustainability through example. It takes between 3-4 hours to complete this training. Upon completion of the online program, participants receive a certificate from Purdue TAP. (Sample Video)
Register at http://www.distance.purdue.edu/green.
*Indiana Residents: If you work or live in the state of Indiana, you are eligible to purchase this online training course at a 10% discounted rate of $175. Enter Discount Code: INMEPA01 when registering.
Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
SME Green Manufacturing Specialist CertificateParticipants can earn an SME Green Manufacturing Specialist (GMSC) certificate with accreditation through the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) by passing the SME Green Manufacturing Specialist Exam. The exam includes over 100 questions and takes up to four hours to complete. The SME GMSC exam and the Purdue TAP GreenED Specialist Series are built upon the same body of knowledge. Thus the GreenED Specialist Series prepares students to take the SME GMS exam.
More information is available at http://www.sme.org/green
Elective: Waste Stream mapping
Waste Stream MappingDuring the two-day interactive Waste Stream Mapping (WSM) program, participants will learn the fundamentals of solid waste streams and their associated sources including energy, solid waste, water and hazardous wastes. Using a WSM assessment and planning tool, participants will learn how to analyze alternative approaches, develop future-state scenarios with significant reductions in waste stream output and create an implementation plan for future state.
"Green Enterprise Development’s nationally recognized accreditation through Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) provided us with a great tool to be able to show our customers that we’ve had relevant training and we are serious about sustainability. Plus, every workshop I attended provided information, knowledge and tools I could take back to the facility and use right away."
- Darla Carlisle, Corporate Compliance Manager, Harlan Bakeries